Monday, July 11, 2016

Turning Poems into Songs!

The current roster of Animated Step-by-Steps™ includes numerous poems. The term poem is somewhat misleading because technically most poems can be sung. You just have to find the right tune to carry the rhyme.

Consider, for example, the Apple Tree poem and  the 6 Big Apples poem. The two titles are very similar in topic but different in terms of their language complexity. Although both are technically … poems … both can be sung to the tune of ‘This old man”!

Apple Tree Poem

Way up high in a tree
6 big apples hung over me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came and apple
And mmmmm it was good

Way up high in a tree
5 big apples hung over me
I shook that tree as hard as I could
Down came and apple

And mmmmm it was good …. (repeats for 4, 3, 2, 1, 0)



6 Big Apples Poem

6 Big Apples
Just for me
Are hiding in the apple tree
I hit that tree with my hat
An apple fell
“For me”, said cat

5 big apples
Just for me
Are hiding in the apple tree
Here I sit on a log
An apple fell …. (repeats for 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 and several animals dog, pig, goose, hen)
“For me”, said dog



Both titles are available  in three formats: Regular (no symbol support), SymbolStix and Picture Communication Symbols.

Since music is engaging for many of our students, the search for the right tune to turn that Animated Step-by-Step poem into an Animated Step-by-Step song is well worth the effort.  

’til the next post …  (new posts every Monday).

Visit my website   http://animatedstep-by-steps.com
Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/@AnimStepbySteps Follow @AnimStepBySteps 
Follow me on facebook www.facebook.com/AnimatedStepBySteps
Email me canadiangoosse@gmail.com

©2016 Carol Goossens’, Ph.D.
Augmentative Communication Consultant
Speech-Language Pathologist

No comments:

Post a Comment